The IU Network Science Institute (IUNI) is seeking a software engineer. The engineer will support and collaborate with IUNI's existing IT team and key stakeholders in the planning, design, programming, testing, implementation, and support of various systems:
- Provide experienced design, development, testing, and configuration of software systems and computer programs.
- Perform experienced analysis, programming, troubleshooting, bug-fixing, and tuning of new and existing software.
- Consult with stakeholders/clients to review existing software solutions; develops new functionality and/or writes new code as needed; advises clients on critical decisions regarding information technology to improve overall business process efficiency.
- Determine program module test procedures, generates required test data, and executes testing procedures.
- Collaborate with other technical staff and stakeholders/clients to ensure optimum functionality, performance, accessibility, scalability, and security of supported software.
- Document software development efforts (changes, new functionality, issue/problem resolution).
- Provide documentation, information, and training through formal and informal communications to end users, departments, and internal staff.
- Contribute to project planning, formulating objectives, estimating tasks; performs studies to include feasibility, conceptual design, cost/benefit analysis, development and implementation planning.
- Ensure that all protocols used in the development and maintenance of software is up to date and compliant with university policies and standards; researches and stays up-to-date on new industry software development standards, emerging technology, UX/UI design/philosophy, and accessibility standards.
Specific department responsibilities:
- Support and collaborate with IUNI's existing IT team and key stakeholders in the planning, design, programming, testing, implementation, and support of cutting-edge, user-facing software tools used by researchers to explore numerous network-based data sets.
- Develop ground breaking, high performance, backend solutions, including APIs and Databases, to manage and query large data sets, managing cloud-based hosting and computing environments, and interfacing with existing systems to provide secure access across a variety of platforms.
- Develop methodologies for extracting, manipulating, displaying, and securely storing data as needed to meet project requirements.